Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The most interesting grocery store line-up conversation I've ever had

So I was at the IGA today. There was a man in front of me in line. He was singing a crazy song to the tune of "Row, row, row your boat" to a child in front of him. The child looked frightened. The parent was working hard to ignore him. The child left. He turned to me.

Crazy Man - Wow! You really like your vegetables. Do you work in that field?

Me - In the vegetable field?

Crazy Man - Well...no...You look active. You must have an active job that deals with nature. Or maybe you're in business (sinister tone). Maybe you're a businessman. I just don't know. What do you do for work?

Me - I don't know how to answer that question.

Crazy Man - I'm a poet, of course.

Me - Of course!

Crazy Man - I just finished my latest book. It's called blah blah blah. It's very uplifting.

Me - Sorry. What's it called?

Crazy Man - Things don't make a man (or something along those lines).

Me - I'll be sure to check that out.

Crazy Man - Well... you won't find it in the usual publishing channels. I've been giving it away until it becomes published. I wrote it in pen and ink. So it's very real.

Me - Well. Good luck!

Crazy Man - I've already had my luck. I've realized my life's ambition.

Then he stood there for a while and just kind of looked a bit crazy. And left.

No comments: