Friday, December 4, 2009

Best of 2009

I feel like this has been a pretty fantastic year for recorded music, but a little bit boring for live music. I don't know. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old, I just have a hard time getting excited about shows these days. Anyhow, here it goes.



Maddening Disappointments

White Rabbits - It's Frightening - Hooray! Britt Daniel made another Spoon album using a different band! That's what we need. More Spoon!

The Twilight Sad - Forget the Night Ahead - I don't really understand what happened here.

Rancid - Let the Dominoes Fall - Rancid are such a guilty pleasure for me. This was a sad, sad joke. The worst, really.

Islands - Vapours - I think if I had seen this show I would feel differently about this album. But I didn't. So now I'm convinced that maybe he only had one good album in him. Or, judging from the Clues album, he needs somebody with manic energy to calculate whatever it is he has going on.

AC Newman - Get Guilty - What's wrong with JVC and iPods? If I don't have something already playing on my iPod, this album comes up when I plug it in to the stereo. It's maddening because this album kind of sucks.

It could go on, really. Trail of Dead...what? I didn't even know that NOFX put out a new album this year. That's crazy. I hope it's better than the Rancid album.


Good Songs That Weren't on Albums Good Enough to Make the List

Real Estate - Beach Comber
Jay Reatard - It Ain't Gonna Save Me
Girls - Lust For Life


Stuff That Was Quite Good but That I'm not Ready to Put a Number On

The XX - XX - I'm torn on this one. As JD says, it all sort of sounds like one song. But it's usually a pretty good song.

M. Ward - Hold Time - I like M. Ward. He cranked out a pretty good one here.

Atlas Sound - Logos - Good stuff. Nothing else to say. How does he write so many songs?

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion + Fall Be Kind EP - I was close to throwing this down below. I think they will be on enough year end best of's that I'm keeping them off mine.

Dan Deacon - Bromst - It's no Spiderman of the Rings, but it's a good album. His addition of a band to his live show also puts that whole experience in a whole new league.

The Antlers - Hospice - I went a bit back and forth on this guy. I stick it here though. Rather than down below.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz! This almost, almost got put down below. Not quite though. It doesn't seem like this is the same band that made Fever to Tell.

Update - The Rural Alberta Advantage - Hometowns - Doy! This was in iTunes as a 2008 album and I missed it. Oops.


The Best Albums - 3 of Them to be Exact

3 - The Harlem Shakes - Technicolor Health - I really can't put my finger on why I like this band so much. Pitchfork hated this album. I don't think that is reason enough though.

2 - Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer - This is the definition of a grower. I don't think this tops the last one, but it's pretty close.

1 - The Thermals - Now We Can See - I have to admit that this one really turned me around. I always liked it, but when I first heard it I really thought they could have done something better if they hadn't polished it so shiny-like. I mean, I still think that might be true, but it doesn't really matter.

There we go. Three albums made by skinny white guys with guitars.

2 comments:

Marty said...

You really didn't miss much at the Islands show. Dude's really full of himself. And I told you about the openers. Yikes.

Dave said...

I saw them back a few years ago out at UBC and I very much enjoyed them. I guess there's a fine line between "full of himself" and "great entertainer".